I bought Good Housekeeping magazine this week and in it are some fantastic classic biscuit recipes including custard creams, iced rings and chocolate oaties, which my son and I made yesterday. They are truly delicious and so unbelievably easy to make!
125 g (4 oz) butter, plus extra to grease
125 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
125 g (4 oz) light brown soft sugar
125 g (4 oz) porridge oats
half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon golden syrup
125 g (4 oz) milk or plain chocolate
How to make
1. Preheat oven at gas mark 4 (180 degrees c/160 degrees c for fan oven)
2. Mix together the flour, oats, sugar and soda
3. In a small pan melt the butter and syrup then add this to the dry mixture and combine
4. Divide mixture into around 16 and roll each portion into a ball.
5. Arrange on the greased baking tray(s), spacing apart and squash each one down a little
6. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until golden brown, take out leave to cool for 3 minutes
7. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely
8. Melt the chocolate either in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave oven
9. Once melted you can drizzle the chocolate over the biscuits, use a pastry brush to paint it on or spread it over the top (this is what I opted for) or you can leave them plain if you are not bothered about the chocolate ( I did both)
10. And voila…
…yummy chocolate oaties!
I cannot wait to have a go at making the other recipes : )
Happy baking and I hope you have a great week ahead!